The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Wednesday, March 10, 2010

A Meeting at Don Juan's

Today is more a restaurant review than a musing. Though I suppose it could be a musing about a restaurant since that might be what a review is, after all.

Tony suggested a place called Casa Don Juan*, a Mexican restaurant near downtown Las Vegas. He worried that I would not find the food all that good. Why, I do not know. It was excellent! Faye had, as is her wont, ala carte items; a taco, a tamale, and an enchilada. I had Carnitas Puerco minus the pico de gallo. I don't know what Tony had, I was too busy enjoying my food. If you ever get to Las Vegas (and you will, I am sure), you need to find your way to 1204 S. Main St and bring an empty stomach. You will love it if you like Mexican food at all. And, by Mexican food, I do not mean Taco Bell!

Tony and I chatted about blogging; why we do it, whether we feel we are being read, why no one seems to comment (comments are the bloggers' applause), other blogs (all of which we feel outdo us), Facebook, online games (he does it some, I do it not at all), family, places we've lived, places we would like to see or have seen, how I managed to break my cell phone, how Tony manages to lose his, etc. In other words, we tried to learn everything about each other in a short period of time.

Yet, it came time to part. An awkward time, I think, when you feel the conversation is interesting and might go on for hours more but that it is also time to retreat and consider things that were said and also to get back to the purpose of Vegas... to gamble. Faye was less interested in the conversation since she does not blog and rarely reads even mine. After all, she gets quite enough of my musings first hand. Her thing is silly little computer games that involve feeding fish or finding relics in a picture. Opposites do attract... thankfully.

Tony and I said our good-byes in the chilly parking lot (Las Vegas in Winter can be cold) and he said he needed to hurry home to read my blog and maybe to read Pearl's which I urged him to peruse... Another fan for you, Pearl, I suspect. And I waited till just now to read Badass Geek, Tony's recommendation. (Ever notice how we trade tips, hints, and recommendations?) I am impressed... another candidate for my blog roll (OBTR Other Blogs To Read).

Tony, I enjoyed the evening. You are quite the guy, a good host, and your blog reflects your heart. We should do it again when Faye and I return to Vegas (we always do, at least once a year).

A thought came to me this morning... a Blogger's convention. One for the non-commercial, casual, day to day life bloggers. All I need now is someone else to plan it, organize it, and pull it off. Because, if you've been reading my blog, you know I'll never get around to it.

* Do not believe the reviewer's comment about the Guacamole, it was great and had a bite to it. Perhaps, they read the review and re-worked the recipe

2 comments:

Jana said...

It's amazing how you can spend such a pleasant time with someone who shares similar interests with you. It might be doing something as commonplace as eating but it is the conversation that makes it exciting. Like reading your posts.

Tony said...

It was really nice meeting you in person and I’m glad you enjoyed the food. I look forward to your next trip out here and hopefully by then I’ll find a good steak place we can eat at. I have to admit that I almost thought we weren’t going to meet because I missed your first call and by the time I got your message it was too late to call you. I was in the other room playing Mario Bros on the Wii with my nephew and thought to myself, “Man, I’m not going to meet them because I was too busy trying to stay on my Yoshi and avoid those freaky mushrooms”

It was a pleasure to meet you and your wife. You have my number, so next time you’re in Vegas make sure you give me a call and we’ll do dinner again.

Take care.