The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Introduction

I am just an aging boomer. That is, I was born at the beginning of the Baby Boomer generation; in the summer of 1946, to be exact (almost). I might not have been born had there not been a World War II and the draft. My father was drafted in 1944 though he never saw combat. In fact, he never left the States. He basically did his time as a projectionist on an army base near San Francisco. The reason I was important was because, after the war, those with enough dependents got released. Viola! I was a welcomed baby. My mother told me I was a bit late in arriving, about a month. I was named after the nurse's boyfriend because my parents couldn't decide on a good first name. Being born at that time gave me some advantages. First, there were to be a lot of us and that meant that society would do its best to accommodate us. They built schools, roads, parks, libraries, and so on. They studied all kinds of things to make sure we were raised right and would be productive members of society. Of course, all that went wrong in the 60s but who knew that would happen?

I am going to try over the life of this blog to help those of you who came before and after the boomers to understand what life was like for us and how it shaped the world. I'll probably fail but at least I will have fun trying.

No comments: