The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Sunday, April 12, 2009

Happy Easter

Today is Easter Sunday. For Christians, it is a most Holy day. But what does it mean for others? I read an interesting opinion piece yesterday by Susan Estrich. Now, Ms Estrich is a liberal Democrat who normally confines her opinions to political issues. However, in this article, she reminds us what it can be like here in the US growing up Jewish in a strongly Christian community. It also tells us a little about what it is like to be different.

From the article:

I was in elementary school in Swampscott, Mass., when I learned that the Jews had killed Christ. Or so we were told, right around this time of year. Most of the kids in the class just nodded when they heard. It seems they already knew. I was shocked.

I grew up around the same time as Ms Estrich but my schools' student bodies were 30%-40% Jewish. I grew up knowing as much about Passover as I did about Easter. And I am still mystified by religious intolerance in The US.

I recommend the article and you can read more with this link...


[988/989/854]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

An intelligent piece of writing Douglas, somewhat sobering.

AV