The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Friday, December 25, 2009

Merry Christmas! And so on...

I suppose this should be titled with "Happy Holidays!" there being so many that occur at this time of year and each being important to the religion involved. But I do not celebrate many, if any, holidays. It's against my nature. I like to think of Christmas as a "catch all" holiday encompassing the others at this time of year, I hope you will not mind?

I blame this on my siblings, of course. You see, being the youngest, I was denied the opportunity to believe in the "magic" of Christmas. That's right, I found out about Santa before my memories begin. And, being the child of a man who ran The bicycle shop, my parents were off distributing bicycles all over town on Christmas Eve, abandoning me to the clutches of my older siblings. Those two enjoyed making my young life just a tad more miserable than it might have been.

And, then, of course, there was the Great Christmas Tree Ornament Battle (and/or Massacre) one year. Left to our own devices one Christmas Eve, we grew bored (I didn't, they did, I was just caught in the middle of it all). My sister and brother began by throwing tinsel at each other while finishing the decorating of the tree. Somehow, this led to the ornaments being tossed which, in turn, led to my sister filling the littler ornamental balls with that wretched smelling cheap perfume that emerging teen girls have around. By the time the parents came home, most of the glass had been cleaned up but the house wreaked.

That was my most memorable Christmas.

We always went to Grandma's house on Christmas Day (and on Easter and Thanksgiving) and did that wonderful extended family bonding that we all cherish. I saw these visits as respites from my normal family life.

But I am sure your Christmases were merrier and filled with joy and hope that this one is also.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello douglas,

i thought the magic of christmas had to do with the Holy-Day not the holiday?

what other holy days fall during december? hanuka is not even in the torah - it's fun but not real holy.
jewish holy days must fall in the correct season but we use a different calendar so... well sometimes jesus is forced to rise (easter) before he gets to eat his last supper (passover) any crossover is coincidence.

probably safe to wish you a happy new year :) unless....

dafna

The Jules said...

Merry christmas Douglas. May you and yours have a basically happy day.

Jules (The)

Douglas said...

Dafna, yes, I understand that Hannukka (or however it is spelled) is more a secular celebration. The history of Christmas is, well, let's just say "interesting." Some question Christ's birth being at this time of year, for example.

Still, it is a time for family and friends to gather, regardless of the sanctity of the occasion. And wishing others well is always welcome at any time of year.

Jules, my friend, I hope you had a Happy Christmas and you and yours are well.

The Jules said...

Merry christmas Douglas. May you and yours have a basically happy day.

Jules (The)

Anonymous said...

hello douglas,

i thought the magic of christmas had to do with the Holy-Day not the holiday?

what other holy days fall during december? hanuka is not even in the torah - it's fun but not real holy.
jewish holy days must fall in the correct season but we use a different calendar so... well sometimes jesus is forced to rise (easter) before he gets to eat his last supper (passover) any crossover is coincidence.

probably safe to wish you a happy new year :) unless....

dafna