The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Saturday, May 10, 2014

Wal-Mart Politics


A portion of Obama supporters is upset with him because he made a speech at a Wal-Mart in northern California (Mountain View) on Friday. The speech was about alternative energy, encouraging it, and getting more people trained in it. Some of the supporters do not like Wal-Mart... actually, most of them don't like Wal-Mart... because of its anti-union stance, others think it is rotten to its employees.

I have no idea. I never worked for Wal-mart. I knew a woman who worked for Wal-Mart, she thought they treated her pretty well, especially during a period where her child was very ill. I also know a man who worked for them for a few years after he got laid off from the thrift shop he had been working for. He felt they treated him terribly.

Good or bad, I like Wal-Mart... as a consumer. Prices are low (I can depend on that), they often have my size in clothes... I apparently wear a very popular size since my size is rarely available in department stores... and I have developed a taste for their generic brand foods (Great Value); everything from their version of Miracle Whip to the pastas.

So, I have gotten into a routine where I go to Wal-Mart and do a bit of shopping every Tuesday morning.

I just hope I don't run into Obama while I am there.

No comments: