The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Monday, April 26, 2010

What about these illegal aliens?

I get around 250 channels. A number of them are in HD most of the time. Until I had HD, I didn't realize that there would be non-HD periods on some channels. Now, I do. You can tell the HD is off because the picture becomes a square box in the middle of your widescreen TV or because everyone looks a bit beefier. This works for men but not for the women. I am not into lady wrestlers... from the 50's.

Even though I get all these channels, I can handle about 35 of them. The rest show nothing of real interest to me. But certain ones do draw me to them. Discovery, Science, History, and Military are ones I peruse on a regular basis.

Which brings me to Stephen Hawking and aliens from space. According to various news reports, Dr. Hawking is against them. To be more precise, he is not in favor of drawing their attention. Unfortunately, I didn't get to see all the warnings since storms in my area interfered with my satellite signal. In fact, from what I did see of the show, I didn't get the impression it was a major concern.

I happen to agree with the idea that we should not draw the attention of so-called "intelligent" alien species. But I don't think it is a major concern. It's a big galaxy and an even bigger universe and the odds are that some species would have to invent faster than light travel in order to expand into solar systems outside of their own.

And then find us on this tiny little speck of dirt and water in an outlying area of a minor galaxy.

Still...


3 comments:

HektikLyfe said...

Resources. Though it is hoped that life will undoubtedly be found on other planets in other galaxies, we have yet to find a tiny spec of a hint that we will ever find one as abundant as our own.

The best analogy I could think of is the one used many times before. The anthill.

Its not so much that the aliens would come here, hellbent on destroying us but that they will come here and annoyed with our presence, brush us away.

Douglas said...

HektikLyfe, not finding that all that reassuring....

HektikLyfe said...

Resources. Though it is hoped that life will undoubtedly be found on other planets in other galaxies, we have yet to find a tiny spec of a hint that we will ever find one as abundant as our own.

The best analogy I could think of is the one used many times before. The anthill.

Its not so much that the aliens would come here, hellbent on destroying us but that they will come here and annoyed with our presence, brush us away.