The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Thursday, June 20, 2013

Meet the New Boss, Same as the Old Boss


I have, in the past, harped about racial discrimination. I think racism is an inherently human condition. That we can never eradicate it, only ameliorate it, legislate against it, and try as individuals to control it in ourselves as best each of us can. We, as a nation, do the best we can but it is a never ending struggle.

I grew up from age 10 to age17 in Dade County, Florida. I was there when Castro took over Cuba and promised an egalitarian society where discrimination would no longer exist. I watched and listened as those promises failed to be fulfilled. I watched and listened as some in this country (artists, actors, even politicians) failed to see the failure of the Castro government to live up to those promises. Instead, they praised him and the Cuban government and criticized our own.  This had a lot to do with my disaffection with liberalism and liberals.

Finally, after 54 years, the Washington Post runs an opinion piece revealing what I saw all those years ago in my youth. And it isn't just Cuba that fails to stem racism. It is countries all over the world. Many, if not all, of these countries criticize us for our own failure to eradicate racism within our own borders.

I urge you to read the following article:


Afro-Cubans fight for equality under Castro regime

And I urge you to think.


No comments: