The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Fourth Image in the Fourth File

I am confused. I realize I am often in this state and that it can be tiresome to you folks but bear with me. Someone has tagged me. Alan at "Laid Back Think Tank" has tasked me to post a column with, and about, "the fourth image in the fourth file stored on your computer". The phrase does not make sense to me. Alan had no trouble with it, apparently, but its meaning escapes me.

What is the "fourth file" on my computer? And what if, assuming I puzzle that out, happens if that file has no images at all? Or only one, or two, or three?

Do you understand my confusion? Can I be loose in my translation of this request? If so, I might choose the fourth file of my Pictures folder. Or the Fourth of My Pictures file. Or the Fourth image of my fourth folder below my Pictures folder.

I know that the actual fourth file on my hard drive has no images. Well, I am pretty sure of that anyway. You see, that file is likely to be part of the operating system files. And, until it gets to one that holds icons or somesuch, it would mostly be executable code or gobbledygook to the layman.

And the "fourth image" in this "fourth file". I don't think I have any files that have more than one image. Perhaps I should. Maybe I am doing this computer thing all wrong. Should I merge several photos of like categories into single files? But then I would have to categorize them. And that could mean putting copies of many into many different category files because most of the images on my computer mean several different things to me.

Maybe what is desired is the fourth favorite image? How would I judge that? Each image I look at is #1 at the moment I view it or something to discard from sight immediately. In other words, there are only two rankings. It's basically binary to me... Yes or No.


Here are some of my "fourth images", each would require their own post to explain completely:

Found on a free wallpaper downloads site.

A Xmas card from my son and his family. Britney (L) and Brianna, my most wonderful grandchildren.

Brianna at a dance class some years ago.

Brianna leaping. Taken a few years ago. She is so much more graceful now. And can be seen at YouTube: Amazing Grace

More of Brianna...

You will be amazed at Brianna's talent if you choose to click on the above links, I promise you.


And there is another requirement. I must inflict this on another person, another blogger. Several, actually. How do I do that when I don't really understand it myself? Not to mention that I am philosophically opposed to "tagging". I understand it is a game, as we often played in our neighborhoods and playgrounds, and that games are usually fun. But they are unfair if they are not voluntary. You agree to play "Tag", you don't simply get grabbed and thrown in the game. The game that comes to mind where someone is "drafted" without his permission is called "Keep Away" and is cruel.

In accordance with my philosophy, I will not draft anyone into this game. I will not ask anyone to participate. I will apologize now for being a "stick in the mud" and walking away on our playground to watch the pretty girl on the swing instead. If you have a blog, I ask you to consider tagging yourself with this task and post whatever "Fourth Image from the Fourth File" means to you. If you do not have a Blog then you can email me (see my Profile) with the same and I will post the best one (in my opinion) of what you send me (this is your chance to do a "Blog and run" as a guest blogger).

Maybe I think too much about things, analyze them too deeply. But that is, after all, who I am.

6 comments:

HektikLyfe said...

I was caught in this a few months back. The way it was supposed to be forwarded was the Xth image in your picture folder.

So say you were the 4th. You then tag someone else and they would have to post the 5th.

Captcha is: thworse....funny.

Douglas said...

Well, that I could understand. That actually makes some sense.

Robot Nine said...

Douglas- Actually I love it, it's perfectly Douglas and the reason I invited you. I also am not so sure about these tags, as it took a boatload ot valuable Robot Nine searching time! I also pondered what fourth file meant. I considered changing it to ninth, lol. Your blog post was well spoken, independant, funny, true, and had neat pix.

It's why I like reading you!

Alan Mizell

Douglas said...

Alan - Hektik's explanation makes a lot of sense.

Douglas said...

Alan - Hektik's explanation makes a lot of sense.

Alan said...

Douglas- Actually I love it, it's perfectly Douglas and the reason I invited you. I also am not so sure about these tags, as it took a boatload ot valuable Robot Nine searching time! I also pondered what fourth file meant. I considered changing it to ninth, lol. Your blog post was well spoken, independant, funny, true, and had neat pix.

It's why I like reading you!

Alan Mizell