The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Sunday, January 4, 2009

The New Printer


I bought myself an all-in-one printer for Christmas. It isn't really "all-in-one", it is just a printer-scanner-copier. It doesn't brew coffee, which would make it almost perfect (especially if it also toasted bagels). So, I will call it my almost all-in-one gadget. I was surprised to find I had bought it for me because I wasn't especially good this past year and I was sure I was on the "naughty" list more than once.

In any event, I needed this printer because (a) my old, perfectly workable (most of the time) printer does not work with The New Computer unless I remove the parallel cable and plug in a USB cable. At which point, the Lovely and Gracious Faye will no longer have a printer about which she can complain is out of ink every time she wants to use it. We were sharing the old printer via something called an "autoswitch". And (b) my antiquated scanner is simply too old to work with Vista. Vista rolls its digital eyes, sighs audibly, and explains "This legacy device is out of date, get something new, you piker!" or words to that effect.

So, I went online to peruse what is available and found a little gem that seems to be adequate for my needs. My needs are few. I just want something that will print out in monochromatic glory any little thing I care to have a hard copy of. This would average about once every other month and maybe use 2 sheets of paper. But I use a scanner more often; maybe 4 times a month. Anyway, this little HP printer, most likely a manufacturer's closeout, only costs $48.15 (tax included). I will not reveal the model number (you might laugh or look it up and find it for $35 somewhere) nor the online store which ships it, for free, to their local "Brick and Mortar" store where I can happily pick it up.

When it arrives.
Eventually.
Sometime between now and the 13th of this month.
This year (I hope).

When it is shipped, this online site will email me an invoice which I must print out and bring with me. I can see this may present a problem. But, perhaps, maybe, I can explain to the clerk at the store that I could not print out the invoice because I do not have a printer which was why I need to pick up this printer (which I will have already been charged for). If he, or she, does not see the irony in this, I will explain that I am in a hurry because I have to pick up my prescription of daily anti-psychotic medication which I have been out of for several days now.

People are much friendlier and helpful when I tell them that.

6 comments:

Neo said...

sounds like my 'disposable' hp as the ink is about $10 more than the actual printer
My hp sits to collect dust as it is out of ink and I really don't need it

Douglas said...

Know what's really bad? The email arrived today and it says I really don't need to print it out, just bring the order number with me.

Perhaps I overreacted.

Michael said...

I like the printer I got for Christmas. I still have to scan all my old childhood photos into digital files.

I hope we get to see some cool images here. But, trust me, the scanning excitement wears off in, like, a day...

Michael.

Anonymous said...

Douglas, 48 bucks for that? Hell, in Brazil the cheapest 3in1s are still over USD150.

IT is incredibly expensive here.

But gonna try that antipsychotic medicine trick, that was cool.

AV
http://netherregionoftheearthii.blogspot.com/
http://tomusarcanum.blogspot.com/

omasenne you haven't seen the wordify.

Douglas said...

Printers are cheap here. But, then, so am I so I guess it all works out. Most of the time, you get what you pay for so I do not expect much in the way of quality.

It turns out I did not need to use that veiled threat. The email said to just bring the order number in. After the full body cavity search, the eye scan, and two forms of picture ID (and the usual interrogation), I was allowed to lug the box out to my car without being molested more than once ("I'll need the receipt for that printer, thief"). I haven't open the box yet, I am just basking in the knowledge that I have a new gadget.

Douglas said...

Printers are cheap here. But, then, so am I so I guess it all works out. Most of the time, you get what you pay for so I do not expect much in the way of quality.

It turns out I did not need to use that veiled threat. The email said to just bring the order number in. After the full body cavity search, the eye scan, and two forms of picture ID (and the usual interrogation), I was allowed to lug the box out to my car without being molested more than once ("I'll need the receipt for that printer, thief"). I haven't open the box yet, I am just basking in the knowledge that I have a new gadget.