The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Saturday, March 14, 2009

Parting Ways



When I was a little boy, my mother parted my hair on the left. Well, she tried. It was a little unruly, as was I. I kept it that way as I grew up, right into the Navy.






But, after I got out, I changed it. As it got longer, parting it on the side was not fitting. It looked strange so I started parting it down the middle...











This lasted a number of years, even as my hair grew much longer. Much, much longer.









But something happened along the way. In 1978, I got my hair cut. Short. Normal length. Like a responsible adult. And parting it down the middle looked silly, like Dagwood Bumstead. So, I got rid of the part down the middle. But I couldn't get it to part on the left anymore. Not neatly anyway. So I just combed it back, straight back. Like my father did. And his brother (my uncle) does. And their father did. And like my brother does.

I just noticed that.

[858/859]

8 comments:

Neo said...

yea I know I scored you 'pointless' on this one but good all the same, maybe one of the score boxes in the rating should be 'interesting'

Bagman and Butler said...

It makes me wish I still had hair.

Barry said...

Somehow through childhood mop, long hair, short and thinning, I've always keep my parting to the left. Maybe it reveals my political views?

Or does never changing your part reveal a conservative streak?

The Jules said...

So, it's not a beard, but a comb around from the back then?

Douglas said...

Neo - "Pointless" is descriptive.

B&B - But then you'd have to wash it and comb it and all that stuff.

Barry - George Carlin said it best when he started wearing it long. When asked why he did that, he said,
"I've always had long hair, man. I just wore it inside."

Jules - Combovers give me the willies. Do these guys think they are fooling anyone?

My hair will thin out, like my mother's and I will look like one of those old venerable Chinese wise men with wispy white hair. I did not inherit my father's thick hair.

Linda S. Socha said...

Sorry I missed thisone earlier....Great Post..Yes we become our fathers and mothers when we are not watching.....maybe a little less so if we are watching
This is a great way to preserve the family tendency!
Linda

Anonymous said...

Nice title. "Parting Ways"
I didn't think it's about the hair. :D

Douglas said...

Linda - Yes, I feel that was the important part of the post; show that we often end up as our parents.

Ares - I thought it was clever. But, then, I am a simple man. Great survey post on your blog today. Made me think!