The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Six Things (a Tag Assignment)

Let me start today by explaining about "tagging" for those who do not understand it. That would be the 1%, or so, of you that don't blog and have somehow managed to avoid any blog that has been "tagged." It is a game of sorts where one blogger randomly subjects a number of other bloggers to a kind of challenge. In this case, the number is 6.

Here are the rules... (I just did a little Copy & Paste from Jules' site, with a little editing)

1) Put the link of the person who tagged you on your blog (That'll be The Jules, at The Gravel Farm in this case)

2) Write the rules (What you are currently perusing)
3) Mention 6 things or habits of no real importance about you (see below)

4) Tag 6 persons adding their links directly (I shall choose people randomly, and by random I mean subjectively)

5) Alert the persons that you tagged them (hopefully by reading this post)

Since I am an official "Old Guy" and designated Party Pooper, I will follow the first 3 of the 6 rules. I will then commit the Sin of the Chain Letter and not obey the last 3. You see, I am against involuntary assignment. If these tags were true suggestions and did not carry the weight of peer pressure, I would see no harm. But I was often the "last kid picked" in school and the one who was dared to do things that would inevitably get me in trouble. This creates great psychic trauma which resulted in mental scars which, when "rubbed", release the demons inside my head and that causes some fear and trepidation in my neighbors.

Anyway, the other 5 bloggers Jules has tagged will most likely carry on the tradition and that means some 30 other bloggers may (or may not) write some post that will reveal things about them no one really needed to know. Click on the words "Gravel Farm" above to take you that list and his Six Things... Visit those blogs, read them, you will enjoy them, I am sure.

This is actually an easy list to make up. Most things about me are of no real importance.

1. I am not old by the standards of my golfing associates. Since I am 62, I am often referred to as "the young'un." Still, players 10 or more years older than me hit the ball farther and score lower.

2. I am pointlessly dependable. I take it as a matter of personal pride to keep promises and feel incredible guilt when I fail to do so. Which I occasionally do.

3. Though I only spent exactly 3 years and 11 months in the US Navy, it is a major part of who I came to be. Had it happened at a different time period, I might have stayed in for 20 or 30 years.

4. I think I am smart. But I am only smart enough to get myself into trouble and annoy those around me with my endless prattling.

5. I have only broken one bone in my body. My right index finger. That happened during a scuffle with my brother when I was about 6 years old. It was not set so the finger is a little bent to the right. As am I...

6. People often ask me if I dye my hair because it is mostly dark brown while my beard is quite gray to white. I haven't figured out why anyone would think that. Wouldn't I dye my beard dark too if I was that vain?

So, there you have it. 6 things you really didn't need to know and which did not enrich your lives in any way.

[846/847]

5 comments:

Michael Horvath said...

My beard would grow in half white as well so that is why I don't have one. It is a much simpler way to be vain.

Anonymous said...

Vanity... bah humbug! I am bald and happy (my brother had transplants) God (if he exists) designed me this way, I am happy.

I was accused of being "out of shape" a couple of days ago in the bar; so... what is round, if not a shape? End of discussion.

AV

The Jules said...

My reason for tagging you Douglas was because I want to know a bit more about you, not just to continue a chain, so I'm glad you did it like this!
And you need to start Tippex-ing your hair then!

Douglas said...

Jules - I know your motives were pure. Who's aren't? :-)

Argentum Vulgaris said...

Vanity... bah humbug! I am bald and happy (my brother had transplants) God (if he exists) designed me this way, I am happy.

I was accused of being "out of shape" a couple of days ago in the bar; so... what is round, if not a shape? End of discussion.

AV