The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Friday, May 28, 2010

But sleep won't come...

... the whole night through...*

Ever have one of those nights? You know, where sleep is more than elusive? Where it sits in the shadows near your bed and snickers evilly while you feel your skin, your heartbeat in the pulse near your ear (almost hearing it), breeze from the window (or, these days, the flow of cooled air from the AC vent) chilling you, every sound louder and more annoying?

When I was young, I had so many of those nights but easily survived them. Then, I could go 24 hours easily (sometimes 36) without sleep anyway. Of course, I would always crash at the end and sleep so soundly nothing would rouse me for 10-12 hours.

But I am old now. And when those nights come, there is no ignoring the need for sleep. I will suffer for most of the day, I will be bleary of mind and eye, I will be unable to concentrate anywhere near properly on any task at hand. I will pay for this night dearly. I will nap soundly later in the day, while watching TV or trying to read. Maybe even while hunched over the keyboard of this computer, my head nodding like a heroin addict feeling that rush.

I didn't mind losing sleep when I was young. Sleep was an annoyance all its own then, an intrusion into my desire for constant stimulation. Now sleep is something I desire much more than excitement most days and nights.

But I am still a slave to whatever rules my body clock.

*from "Your Cheatin' Heart" by Hank Williams, Jr.


No comments: