The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Friday, May 7, 2010

A (half) day on the links

This past Wednesday, I took a chance and hit some golf balls at the range. I learned that (a) I could hit them and (b) that it wasn't just my leg muscles that had weakened since the Great Kneecap Incident. I was surprised that I did as well as I did though it was not great ball striking.

This encouraged me. So much so that I decided I would attempt a round of golf today. I was not overly optimistic, I figured my short term goal would be to make it through 9 holes, or halfway around, and decide what next from there.

And that is what I did. For the most part, I exceeded my expectations as far as quality of play. But I may have been too optimistic about my ability to hobble about. I was in too much pain to do more than 9 holes. So, discretion being the better part of valor, I opted to head home when we made the turn.

Still, it was good to get out on a golf course again. Of all the things this injury has interfered with, I miss golf the most. Those of you who do not play will not understand that but those of you who do... well, you get it.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm almost amazed that, after a knee-capping, you are walking at all!

Sounds like a stunning recovery.

Keep at it.