The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Wandering through the Internet traffic


I like to wander aimlessly through the internet visiting whatever site catches my eye. And just how do I get started? Why, in Google News, of course. Various headlines act much like fishing lures do. Or a piece of string for the kitty. I chase them, try to catch the essence, and then I am distracted by some other Bright Shiny Thing and wander off.

For instance, I saw the following headline "Tiny Village is Latest Victim of 'The Hum'" and so I followed it here.

Now a tiny English village is the latest community to claim to be being hit by the phenomenon known as "the hum".

Residents of Woodland, in County Durham, claim that every night a noise permeates the air similar to the throb of a car engine.


It is sometimes so strong that it even shakes the bed of one of the householders.


Which made me curious because I too have, from time to time, felt just such a vibration. I say "felt" rather than "heard" because my experiences reminded me of one of those vibrating beds one used to find in motel rooms. A strong low frequency sound can emulate a vibration. This has been used in movies to simulate earthquakes that the audiences can feel. Anyone who has been next to a car with a very loud stereo playing something with a strong bass can understand it (if not the allure of riding in such a car).

So I looked a little further into The Hum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hum

But then I was distracted by a headline about some video artist who posted a video montage of traffic in one intersection in New York City. [Link]

3-Way Street from ronconcocacola on Vimeo.



And, of course, was reminded of a video of a much worse intersection in India.

Compare them yourself...




3 comments:

ivy@freetrafficrobot said...

A very interesting page made...congrats! Traffic Robot

Tom Sightings said...

The "Hum" is intriguing -- you'll have to do more reporting on that one. The only Hum I ever heard was when I lived in Manhattan (all the time), and when I lived a quarter mile from I95 (all the time but esp. at night).  Anyway ... those videos are cool!

Douglas4517 said...

I lived 2 blocks from I-5 in San Diego... the noise was constant. But after awhile, it just wasn't something you noticed. I am real glad I don't live in India.