The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Thursday, June 7, 2012

Helping family


My mother-in-law is visiting this week. She is a kind, sweet, woman and is welcome here. And I am not saying this because Faye is watching me closely, armed to the teeth (which may, or may not, be true... I ain't sayin'). She really is a nice lady.

I was chatting with her about eReaders. She was impressed by one her daughter-in-law had (a Kindle). I talked about my Nook and offered to let her try it out. She loves to read but has some eyesight problems so the adjustable font size would be a plus for her. We talked about the availability of books and I mentioned digital library services, among other things.

She liked it so now it has a new home. I worried about how she might have a problem getting books for it but that same daughter-in-law is a pretty smart cookie and will help her out. My mother-in-law has a computer but it is more terminal than computer and its functions are limited mostly to email and web surfing. After checking with tech support for the service she contracts with, I found she couldn't actually download any files.

Sometimes I wonder about these "wonderful" deals aimed at seniors. She got the computer and the service through First Street. While they were helpful, I suspect they overcharge for both the "computer" and the service.

I no longer needed the Nook since my tablet doubles as a reader, even uses the same format. So I really wasn't being all that generous.

It does make a body feel good, though, to be of use.

No comments: