The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Wednesday, May 29, 2013

I'm Sure I Didn't Forget but I Don't Recall


My mind is failing me on a regular basis now. No, I am not slipping into dementia or developing Alzheimer's. At least I hope not. But I think of something interesting to write about and then forget what it was. This has been happening on a daily basis for some time now.

There is an old joke that says if you forget where you put your car keys, you don't have Alzheimer's but if you forget you own a car, well...

There was a supervisor I worked for back in 1980 that had a similar problem. He'd forget where he was going and why at about the moment he left the room. Our standard joke was that his memory was erased by walking through a metal framed door (all of the doors in the phone company had metal frames).

My mother, who was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in her mid-sixties, embraced it. She would say, "I don't know why people worry about this disease, I get a brand new world every morning... sometimes more often."

I figure my memory banks are just full.

But I have no trouble remembering where I parked my car... or even that I own one.

No comments: