The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Monday, May 20, 2013

What Evil Lurks in the Hearts of Men?


There are many days where I teeter on the edge of the cliff abutting the abyss of insanity. And I wonder if I will go over the edge or manage to keep a grasp on reality.

I struggle with this feeling often. I note that my metaphor involves a cliff over an abyss. And wonder if that is merely a product of my acrophobia. In any case, the metaphor is apt.

I have wondered about my sanity since I was a youngster. I do not recall just when it began and so I assume it began at a very young age. I suspect it was around the time I realized that other people thought and I had no way of knowing what those thoughts were unless they told me. And then I would have to trust them to be telling the truth.

Trust is important to sanity, I think, and I have always had trust issues. I lack trust in others. I know why I lack trust. At least I think I do. But why isn't as important as the fact that I lack it.

I bring this up because the surviving Boston Marathon bomber (Dzhokhar Tsarnaev) has been described a "normal" young man who had a number friends, went to his high school prom, and was seen as a nice young man.  Also because I was watching a "Frenemies" episode the other night in which a "nice young man" who was "like a member of the family" raped, murdered, and sodomized (post mortem, we learn) his friend of many years. Everyone, of course, was shocked when it turned out it was the "nice young man" because they had no idea what evil lurked in his brain. Here's the blurb:


Frenemies: Loyalty Turned Lethal
Deviant Mind
TV-14 CC
Crystal Todd and Ken Register become best friends. But one night Crystal is savagely raped and murdered. Ken is so upset he serves as a pallbearer and helps investigate. But everyone is shocked when the identity of her killer is revealed.


I am reminded that an awful lot of people liked Ted Bundy, too, and were shocked to learn he was a serial killer.

What really lurks in some people's minds?



No comments: