The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Ch-ch-changes


On the CD I have currently in my car is a song by The Who called "My Generation."


Go ahead, play it... put on some headphones so you can get the full effect.

Of course, my car does not play that video. Not that the CD has the video on it, mind you.

But the song got me to musing... I was much younger when that song came out. 19 years of age, to be exact.  There's a line in the song that goes:

I hope I die before I get old (Talkin' 'bout my generation)

I didn't... die, that is... and so I got old. Yet, I still see that 19-year-old when I look in the mirror. And I wonder how a 19-year-old got that white goatee and gray hairs? Not to mention the bags under his eyes (had those many times when I was 19 or so) and the wrinkles. I should have more of those wrinkles. After all, I basically baked my skin for a year and a half as a "surfer dude" and an indifference to the effects of the sun I have had much of my life.

Anyway, I find myself a senior citizen now and don't much like it. The aches and pains that once could be ignored now linger for weeks. I get a cold or the flu and it takes way too long to recover. My knees hurt, my elbows hurt, and I take ranitidine nightly to avoid waking up with heartburn at 3 AM. Which is odd because I was rarely in bed at 3 AM when I was 19... unless we were out to sea.

I didn't plan on getting old, it just crept up on me. And I still refuse to believe it.





No comments: