The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Tuesday, April 22, 2014

As Soon As I Turn My Back...


I Just realized how much of a vacation I have been on.  I have paid almost no attention to the news since we left home. I decided, today, to peruse it and see what is happening. And what do I find? Ignoring Joe Biden heading for Ukraine (does anyone really care what Biden does? Outside his immediate family, that is), I come across a story about some teen stowing away on a flight from San Jose to Hawaii

And surviving!

He managed, they say, to survive the lack of oxygen  at 38,000 feet and temperatures of 80 below zero (Fahrenheit, one assumes). He was unconscious much of the time, which authorities said was helpful to his survival, in the 5 hour and 15 minute flight. The story also said that out of 95 similar stowaway attempts, 75% resulted in death. Which is odd... since that comes out to 71.25. Who was that 3/4ths of a person? Maybe the writer of the story just rounded off... But I digress.

Teens (especially the males) are not noted for their rationality. One wonders how so many of us survive those years?



3 comments:

Joanne Noragon said...

My first thought; what if he fell into the ocean and his parents never knew.

Douglas said...

Joanne, you definitely have the "mom gene."

Tom said...

Yeah, I too have been busy lately and have not seen the news. So I saw the story, and it made me wonder ... why do I bother to look at the news, anyway?