The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Friday, November 28, 2014

So Many Channels And Nothing Worth Watching


And that is what I face today. Not TV but life in this country. So many issues to think about but no way I can keep up. The strife in Ferguson that is spreading throughout the country, pushes for a raise in the minimum wage and calls for $15 per hour for fast food workers, the lack of belief that life will be better for our children and grandchildren than it was for us and so much more.

What can I write about these topics that hasn't already been said by others... and more eloquently? I am a hack, I know that. I have so very little talent for writing that it amazes me that I have not thrown in the towel long ago. It also amazes me that some people actually read what I write. I have an urge to pity those who read my posts. And, yet, I am grateful when I find out that they have.

i can only repeat the words my mother often said: "Life ain't fair! get over it!"

2 comments:

Tom said...

Or as someone said (on a TV show; don't remember who): You want fair, go live on a Kibbutz. Still, I feel for those less fortunate, esp. with the start of the holiday season.

Douglas said...

Tom, it is hard not to feel sorry for those less fortunate. Yet, I am ambivalent about that since my experiences taught me that, for the most part (not all, of course), their misfortune is the result of choices they made. They make the choices they do based on perceptions they have of life (see also Aesop's fable of "The Grasshopper and The Ant"). Still, I feel for them... as do we all.