The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Friday, March 13, 2015

Queen(?) Hillary


I don't know if you like Hillary or hate her, though many seem to take one side or the other with her. More people, I suspect, rarely think about her at all.

But she is in the news now... because of her use of a private email server while Secretary of State. And so there will be a lot of commentary about her. She has still not announced whether she will run for president, holding off the announcement for unknown reasons. But it is assumed she will run and that she will have no real competition for the Democratic Party nomination. That irks me a bit because I don't think anyone should just be "anointed" but should have to undergo some public scrutiny. Perhaps this is that public scrutiny for her.

I'll be honest, I think she would have been a better choice than Barack Obama, but we got what we got.


What do you think? Will she weather this storm, get the nomination, and go on to win the presidency or will the Hillary train get derailed before it even chugs out of the station and someone else will go up against whoever the Republicans nominate? Nothing in politics (especially presidential politics) is a sure thing and there is a lot of time before the campaigns really kick off so there are certainly other possible scenarios.

Oh, it's Friday the Thirteenth! If you care about that sort of thing.


4 comments:

Tom said...

Clinton seems like a shoo-in. Therefore, I'd bet against her, b/c that's the way things usually seem to work out. But I dunno ... who could possibly beat her? As a Floridian, what do you think of your former governor Jeb Bush?

Douglas said...

Tom, I definitely agree with your first two sentences. I think Walker could beat her if he continues to at least talk Reaganesquely. I think Jeb could make a very good president but I don't think he can win the nomination.... which requires evidence of being a "small government" with fairly impressive conservative credentials.

Notes From ABroad said...

If I never saw her face or heard her name again I would not be sad.
I hope someone beats her.

Douglas said...

Notes, as I said... those that think about her at all tend to either like her or hate her, very rare they are ambivalent about her.