The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Monday, January 5, 2009

It works! It works!

Yes, the scanner works, the printer works, it only took an hour to get the software installation done because (a) I do not read instructions and (b) I don't read instructions even when things do not go well. It's an ego thing... If you don't have one, you wouldn't understand.

Anyway, here's the first three things I scanned. If you click on them, you will get a better view.


My family at Easter in 1954. We are in front of my grandmother's house (called a row house then, now would be a townhouse)











My mother, me, and our dog (Cindy) at Christmas in 1954 (I think).












Finally, remember the Bike Shop I talked about? Well, this is what it looked like inside. THis is the one across the street from my elementary school. Also taken in 1954. We didn't seem to take too many other pictures in the other years. But I will keep digging.

7 comments:

Leon1234 said...

Hey, how are you doing?

Robot Nine said...

A bike shop across from a scholl. That is cool. Guess we had it neat to with a malt shop, a creek, and a park. Alan

Douglas said...

Alan - My town had a train station (small- one wood building), a candy/tobacco/newstand shop, a luncheonette w/jukeboxes on the tables (and two without), a bakery store, a movie theater, two Five and Dimes, two barbers, and my dad's bike shop. All within walking distance of my house. We had no park or creek but we did have The Woods nearby.

Leon - Saw your site, interesting thoughts, you have an impressive resume.

Neo said...

good job, in the Easter pic I assume you are the cool one on the left.

Ah yea, instructions... Like the time I was changing a head light on a 1989 ford took me 45 minutes till I read the instructions... one of those you didn't have to change the entire headlight bulb.

Douglas said...

Yeah, that's me... Always the ham.

Yes, eerily similar to when I needed to repair the left headlight on the wife's `96 Century.

Michael said...

Eureka!

That's quite incredible. I know I'll find it weird when I come to look at my look now years from now.

I like the look of a bike shop. In a photo I like the shapes the wheels make, and the picture is simply special particularly with the shades in black and white.

Michael.

Neo said...

good job, in the Easter pic I assume you are the cool one on the left.

Ah yea, instructions... Like the time I was changing a head light on a 1989 ford took me 45 minutes till I read the instructions... one of those you didn't have to change the entire headlight bulb.