The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Friday, February 26, 2010

Arrival!

My name is Douglas and I'm a golf-aholic. I haven't touched a golf club in pleasure, anger, frustration, confusion, agony, or with any other emotion, for a week now. It's tough driving across country for those of us with this addiction.

My wife doesn't understand me about this. But she is sympathetic. In fact, it appears I have a pass for tomorrow. And I shall take advantage of it, too. I am not ashamed.

Now that we have arrived in San Diego, I may miss a few days blogging. Mostly because I hate trying to type on the laptop. Some people like these things but I don't. It's very uncomfortable. The keyboard seems tiny, there's no mouse (well, I have one but I rarely connect it) so I have to use the touchpad, and I seem to do more typos on this than I do on the desktop.

Time for bed. Tomorrow is a golf day.

8 comments:

Neo said...

go, do what you love and are addicted to, we will wait... lol

Steven said...

Not going to harp how much better I think OSX is than Windows - but MacBooks are excellent pieces of hardware that are really not a premium over competing brands (when you take hardware quality into account), and have great, full-size keyboards. I hated the "chiclet" design of them when they were new, and now I can't stand "normal" keyboards...they really put a lot of effort into making them super nice to type on. Next time you're in the market, check out a MacBook and just run Windows on it natively (super easy process, never have to look at or boot MacOS if that's your choice). Consumer reports has consistently given MacBooks and MacBook Pros top billing in the value, failure rate/reliability, and customer support categories.

The glass multi-touch trackpads with no straining to reach for buttons (click anywhere, click anywhere with two fingers for right click, even more functionality for 3 or 4 fingers if you run OSX) are calibrated to be the next best thing after a dedicated external mouse. I only pull out external for gaming (and the wife only sometimes uses them for professional design work).

Anyway, just a thought, if you're ever in the market for a non-barebones el-cheapo laptop.

Steven said...

make that "non-(barebones-el-cheapo) laptop"

Douglas said...

Greg, I enjoyed myself today.

Steven, but does it make coffee?

Irish Gumbo said...

Follow your bliss, my son...

Steven said...

That's the $799 iCafé addon...

Steven said...

That's the $799 iCafé addon...

Steven said...

Not going to harp how much better I think OSX is than Windows - but MacBooks are excellent pieces of hardware that are really not a premium over competing brands (when you take hardware quality into account), and have great, full-size keyboards. I hated the "chiclet" design of them when they were new, and now I can't stand "normal" keyboards...they really put a lot of effort into making them super nice to type on. Next time you're in the market, check out a MacBook and just run Windows on it natively (super easy process, never have to look at or boot MacOS if that's your choice). Consumer reports has consistently given MacBooks and MacBook Pros top billing in the value, failure rate/reliability, and customer support categories.

The glass multi-touch trackpads with no straining to reach for buttons (click anywhere, click anywhere with two fingers for right click, even more functionality for 3 or 4 fingers if you run OSX) are calibrated to be the next best thing after a dedicated external mouse. I only pull out external for gaming (and the wife only sometimes uses them for professional design work).

Anyway, just a thought, if you're ever in the market for a non-barebones el-cheapo laptop.