The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Thursday, June 2, 2011

It's in the stars... or the goat entrails, I suppose


One of the problems with my History Channel addiction is that I get exposed to shows about Ancient Astronauts and Nostradamus. If we are to believe some of this stuff, there's about 18 months left until the destruction of the earth.

I'm not happy about that. I am sure I'm not alone in being unhappy about the pending end to existence. Still, some of you might actually be looking forward to it.

We recently missed out on a prediction regarding Judgment Day. Not a surprise, the preacher who predicted it didn't have the Mayan Calendar or Nostradamus on his side. He just made some kind of math calculation based on the Bible. Not sure how Nostradamus did his. He was French so I don't think I'd understand his logic anyway. The French march to the beat of some drummer I can't hear.

I want you to understand that I don't believe in these seers. I am, first and foremost, cynical and skeptical... not necessarily in that order. Still, I am fascinated by the predictions. When I was a young lad, I read an article about Jeane Dixon and a prediction that someone born in the Middle East in 1962 would have a great impact on the world. Here is the prediction: "A child, born somewhere in the Middle East shortly after 7 a.m. (EST) on February 5, 1962, will revolutionize the world. Before the close of the century he will bring together all mankind in one all-embracing faith."

Obviously, that didn't happen. At least, I don't recall anything like that happening before 2000. Did I miss it somehow? Still, I am fascinated by the predictions. Obviously, I am not alone. Books, movies, and TV shows exploit the fascination.

Are we intrigued by our possible demise? Is it actually an offshoot of the fear of annihilation?

I'll have to consult my Ouija Board.

1 comment:

paul said...

Funny, I was also impacted by that Jeanne Dixon prediction, I kept trying to figure out who that "child" had grown up to be. Remember, the Mayan calendar is just coming to the end of a cycle, it just starts all over again ..... if I remember that History Channel or whatever channel I was watching ..... I'll be 71.5 years old I won't really care if by that time I have had to give up golf for health reasons .... what other reason is there for living in Florida .... take care, mah man