The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Is it high enough yet?

(click on picture to read it a bit easier)

I am confused. I filled my gas tank yesterday and paid only $3.25 per gallon. Actually, I paid $3.259 per gallon but no one pays attention to that "9/10" anymore. What happened to us? We complained bitterly as gas rose and then we stopped. We just accepted the high prices.

We have done this over and over again in the past. I remember my brother-in-law asking me what the price of gas was in West Palm Beach before I moved here. He was angry that he had to pay over $1.85 a gallon for Extra (for his Cadillac). I heard the howls of anger as it climbed over $3.00 a gallon back in the spring of 2008.

And then it dropped. It dropped down to below $1.80 at the end of 2008. Since then it has climbed and climbed and climbed.

But I no longer hear the complaints, I no longer hear the outrage.

It's just another straw for the camel, I guess, and the camel bears it... unlike the idiom.

The chart above was generated at Gasbuddy.com

2 comments:

The Chubby Chatterbox said...

$3.25 per gallon sounds pretty good to me. Out here in Oregon I last paid $3.85 for regular unleaded. I don't drive much but I think about it every time I'm watching a"Cops" episode that's only a few years old and the police car speeds past a gas station advertising gas for $1.45 a gallon. 

Steven Scott said...

Ha, I always make a point of rounding up when I read gas prices...the $0.009 is one of those things that irritate me far more than I should let it. When I make my first billion I'm gonna buy a gas station, charge a little more than neighboring stations, not charge fractions of a cent, and hire somebody to come up with witty advertising slogans. i hope for a chain reaction of common sense.

now all that's left is to somehow get rich...