The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Friday, October 12, 2012

All will be revealed at 10 to the hour


I watch way too much TV. It's not my fault...nothing is ever my fault, by the way... My parents took advantage of the one-eyed babysitter when I was a small child and gave me the "habit." As long as I was watching TV, I wasn't jamming chisels into my fingers or trying to slice my finger off while making a sandwich. No, I was just burning out brain cells on mindless drivel.


But it turned me into a keen observer of some constants in TV programming.  The bumbling dad, the clever teenager, the way all things are resolved at the end of the show and a moral of the story is blatantly obvious.

And the killer is revealed in crime shows. This, of course, comes at a specific time. Just after the commercial break that comes at the time noted in the title of this piece.

There is one other constant... What I call the "wrap up." it occurs after the final commercial break of the show. And it usually contains the "punchline" to the show and an explanation of how the killer (if a crime show) was unveiled.

If only life was as predictable.

No comments: