The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Wednesday, December 5, 2012

We are gathered here today to annoy Douglas


We all engage in rituals at some point during our lives. Confirmations, Bar (or Bas) Mitzvahs, graduations, weddings, military inductions, oaths of office, and birthday celebrations are the most common.


There are also informal rituals...

Shaking hands, or bowing (Asian), when meeting someone.
"High fives" after a score...why do fans at home and in the stands do this, though?
A kiss or hug goodbye/hello.
The seemingly obligatory "dance" in the end zone.
A batter's luck ritual just before he steps into the batter's box. 
The golfer's setup before hitting a ball (watch Keegan Bradley sometime).
I am sure you can think of many more (just try not to now).
 
I avoid them whenever I can. I hate rituals. Always have. I understand their purpose, I understand that others enjoy them and appreciate them, but I don't.




I think that about sums it up for me.


4 comments:

Paul E. Giroux said...

i agree, that's why I will say "good shot" on the first tee but very seldom after that Besides we all get consistent good shots, don't we!!

Douglas said...

Paul, we over congratulate on the golf course. For us, a good shot into the green is any one that actually lands on the green at all.

Pearl said...

Gives people who don't know what to do with themselves some guidelines. :-)

Pearl

Douglas said...

Pearl, I didn't want to say that out loud.