The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Tuesday, November 5, 2013

I Am Just a Little Curious.



Do you think we spend too much time and energy on celebrities?  People often seem not to know who the vice-president is but can recognize Lady Gaga and Kim Kardashian, not to mention the "twerking" Miley Cyrus. Polling supports this.

There are those that say there is a serious effort to "dumb down" America. I don't think so. I think the American public has been a little ignorant for an awful lot of years. The more I read, the more I am sure that I am right. Don't get me wrong, there is a lot that I am unaware of, but I still think I know more than the average citizen.

Just today, I listened to a fellow golfer... who could give me the history of Bobbie Bowden (Florida State University football coach)... talk about the size of the guy's house and a rundown of his treatment by FSU. Why is that important? Ok, maybe he was just making conversation and I am over reacting.

And there are a lot of people who are aware of more than celebrity behavior. But there seems to be a lot more who are walking around in a bubble of their own making and  oblivious to things outside it.

I am sure that none of you are this self absorbed.


1 comment:

Joe Pereira said...

I agree with you Douglas - triviality seems to have more appeal to the masses than serious matters. Sad but true