The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Monday, October 6, 2014

More Inane Sayings


I was reading the comics the other day. This is something I do each morning, it starts my day off with a little humor... something I think we all need but do not get enough of. There is wisdom in comic strips and not merely a few lessons to learn. One of my favorites is a strip called "Pickles" which tells the tales of an elderly gentleman named Earl, his wife Opal, with a grandson and a daughter making the occasional appearance. The interactions between Earl and his grandson are some of the best strips.

Anyway, the strip was this one:


And it got me thinking... I posted something not long ago about phrases we use without thinking about the words in them and I did not mention the one used in the strip. But think about it... does anyone actually can anything? No, of course not, we put them in jars and cans of things are bought at a store after being made in factories. It's also called "putting up preserves" but that isn't efficient to say. Instead, we call it "canning" and everyone, generally, understands what we mean. I suppose we could have called it "jarring" but I think that means something else entirely. But you might say I was jarred by the mention of canning.


No comments: