The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Friday, January 15, 2010

California Dreamin'


I was thinking about winter just yesterday. Winter in Florida comes in fits and starts. It pops in and out as "cold snaps", a short period of relatively intense cold flanked by warm weeks. Usually. But I started life in a small town on Long Island where winter rolled in and set up camp for months. And I didn't much like that time of the year which seemed to stretch out endlessly. Drab and dreary and cold. Damp and barren and cold. Even sunny days seemed cold and brittle. I would lie on the hard, crisp lawn on those days and try to absorb the suns warmth.

But I was fortunate, my parents moved us to Florida; to the south end of it. And I loved it. The first year I don't think I wore anything heavier than a light jacket or sweater during those snaps. The years after that, I did. You get acclimatized. People say, "your blood thins." Which is unlikely but makes the point.

The Mamas and the Papas had a song, a big hit, called California Dreamin' back in 1965 or `66. It was a little depressing. I first went to California in 1965, in November. It was not warm, not to this (now) Florida boy, it was cold. And gray. And rainy and foggy. And even when the sun was out, it was like those days on Long Island.



I would spend almost 20 years mostly in California (cruises to the Gulf of Tonkin and a year back in Florida interrupting) and developed a different image of the state.

California is, to me, a place you could stand on a hillside overlooking the vast Pacific Ocean, an endless black expanse under gray skies. It is that image which sticks with me. Especially when I think of winter there. The beaches were near empty during mid-winter, the air cold, the water freezing.




In the end, California wasn't sunshine and sandy beaches to me.

4 comments:

Charlotte Ann said...

San Francisco mid summer...TAKE A COAT!

IB said...

I love California. I love it because of the Mama's and Papa's and because of the romance and because it was the promised land of Steinbeck's generation. Sure, the reality isn't what was promised us by the dreaners, but what is?

IB said...

sorry, I meant dreamers.

Douglas said...

Charlotte, been there, done that. July with a heavy coat.

IB, I liked California. All of it but loved San Diego until it seemed everyone else discovered it and moved in. But it still not sunny days, blue skies (or smog) and beaches. It is the gray overcast days, the almost black Pacific, and the cool temperatures of winter there that I see in my mind. And "dreaners" is cool. Not sure what it might mean...