The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Friday, January 29, 2010

Douglas' Workshop

Did I ever tell you about my workshop? Of course not. I'd have known if I had.

It's a wonderful place. Well lit, orderly, roomy. Along one wall are two workbenches. One longer than the other with a set of shelves in between. Above the workbenches are pegboards where my small hand tools are mounted, each one in its place, where I can reach them easily. Below the workbenches are some shelves where I store some materials and tools that are too heavy or bulky for the pegboards.

Across the room are more shelving units, each having 5 shelves. On the shelves are various supplies and materials. There is plenty of floor space where I can set up saw horses or a temporary work table, if needed. I still have another wall where I can put up more shelves if I find it necessary. There is plenty of lighting from the 5 foot fluorescent light units.

The workshop is well ventilated and insulated with a wall AC unit for the heat of the summer months and a small space heater for the few cold snaps we must endure in the winter.

Yes, it's a wonderful place.

It also doesn't exist. But if I had one, that's exactly what it would look like.

So I just clutter up one side of the garage instead where I haphazardly put stuff on rickety shelves that hopefully won't fall over. There is a workbench but I have to back my car out to get at it. And it's piled high with unfinished projects, old boxes, and miscellaneous junk that I have accumulated and don't have any more room on the shelves for.

I have no idea where anything is.

5 comments:

Neo said...

I am cracking up...
was thinking half way through the description, "got a cell phone or digi cam?" but really how bout a pic of your "non-work-shop" I had a similar one back when I lived in a house.

Bagman and Butler said...

I had a really good comment about this but I placed it down on my desk and now I can't find it.

Michael said...

That's how serial killers keep their nighttime habits secret from their wives - in workshops exactly like that you've described.

...............

Michael.
Do you hate it too?
"If you're going through Hell, keep going."

Douglas said...

Greg, I have shame so no pics.

B&B, know that feeling too.

Michael, I try to keep that dark side chained up and under control. Mostly.

Douglas said...

Greg, I have shame so no pics.

B&B, know that feeling too.

Michael, I try to keep that dark side chained up and under control. Mostly.