The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Friday, April 23, 2010

Baby steps and training wheels

My father had a strong aversion to training wheels for children learning to ride bicycles. He thought they hampered the process. The way he saw it is that they just postponed the inevitable; learning to ride unaided. Eventually, the rider would have to learn how to maintain balance. He saw training wheels as crutches, unnecessary ones.

When a child is learning to walk, he hangs onto things as aids to balance and as support. Progress seems slow. But once he learns to let go, his progress increases greatly. Before his parents know it, he is capable of running and jumping.

This is where I am now... letting go of the support; disconnecting the "training wheels". I am slowly giving up the last crutch and learning to walk again. I still need it after I have been sitting or lying down for awhile, the knee is too stiff and movement is painful, but it is getting stronger.

My short term goal is to hit a few golf balls this weekend and to play a round in a week to 10 days.

2 comments:

Michael said...

I wish I could be there to be your caddy. Hope you make your goal.

Michael said...

I wish I could be there to be your caddy. Hope you make your goal.