The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Friday, April 2, 2010

Da Pain, boss, da Pain!

I am back. Momentarily. I would have hoped to be posting regularly but it appears that is not going to happen. It is now the 4th day since my last post and I do not foresee being able to post tomorrow. It is simply too uncomfortable to sit in this chair. Or lay in bed. Or move around. I am not getting much sleep either.

I highly recommend you not trip over any ottomans. Unless someone has conveniently placed a nice soft mattress on the other side.

Most of my time is spent watching TV programs I would never have watched otherwise. Also movies of questionable quality. And a lot of news. Lots and lots of news. I have made the observation that cable news channels cycle 4 stories per hour; dropping one and adding another each subsequent hour. And the stories "coming up" after the break are the ones that will not come up until after the last commercial break of the hour. These are also portrayed as the most interesting. And aren't.

Other observations
Oxycodone and Hydrocodone both induce constipation. And the end of that will eventually come. Painfully. Sitting on a toilet with one leg unable to bend properly is tricky. And painful. All of this makes one appreciate the constipation while it lasts.


Yes, it does sometime hurt to laugh. I watched a performance by a comedian on Showtime (I think) who was hilarious. Faye came running into the bedroom thinking something was wrong because of the very odd sounds emanating from it. Jake somebody-or-other. I'd look him up and give you a link but I am running out of patience and the pain level is increasing.

I would take another pain pill but I need to avoid dependence. I was afraid I was overusing them and laid off for a day. I am assuming this is what caused the hallucinations later that night.
So I am going cold turkey. I am also getting the impression you don't really need to read all this stuff so I will end it now. Hopefully, I will be feeling better by Monday and I will be able to post then. On some other topic.

6 comments:

Charlotte Ann said...

With the knee replacement I was on hydrocodone for almost a full two months. I can fully empathize with you on your injury. I am now recovering from a Achilles Tendon repair and bone spur removal and now I have two months of non weight bearing so I'm watching all those TV shows and news channels too.

Cheri said...

Sorry to hear you are in so much pain, Douglas.
Take care, Cheri

Irish Gumbo said...

Chill, bro. Take your time. Good to know about the 'codones.

The Jules said...

You're unlikely to become dependent whilst actually in pain, and the side effects of pain probably outweigh the side effects of meds, so don't do yourself a disservice and deny yourself adequate analgesia!

Get well soon Douglas.

Irish Gumbo said...

Chill, bro. Take your time. Good to know about the 'codones.

Cheri said...

Sorry to hear you are in so much pain, Douglas.
Take care, Cheri