The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Friday, January 11, 2013

I hope that mirror didn't break



From ghoulies and ghosties
And long-leggedy beasties
And things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord, deliver us!

[old Scottish prayer]


The supernatural. A thing apart from the real world. Do you believe in it? Ghosts and goblins, luck (or the lack of), vampires, zombies, Voodoo... all that stuff and more. I like to read books that deal with it and watch movies that include it but I don't believe in it at all.

Two things brought this to mind. I am reading a Dean Koontz book and a black cat crossed my path on the way back to the hotel from a trip to Wal-Mart. I always take a trip to Wal-Mart while in Biloxi. I always leave something behind on these trips. This time it was my electric razor... and a couple of other things I can live without. I could live without my electric razor, too, I suppose, but why should I? I'd eventually have to shave (trim, really) anyway so picking up a safety razor makes some sense. Besides, I have nothing better to do while in Biloxi. I don't gamble for the most part and the weather this week is not suitable for playing golf; blustery and chilly (for me).

Anyway, that Dean Koontz book (like all of his work) involves the supernatural and that got me to thinking about the subject. I think I am skeptical of these things because I was never given a chance to believe in it. My father made it clear that there was no such thing and having an older brother and sister kept me from believing in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and other more pleasant supernatural creatures.

The scariest thing in the dark for me is banging my shin against a coffee table.


1 comment:

Torggil said...

Ghosts- I believe people can leave strong imprints on the areas they inhabit- especially if the emotions have been unusually strong.

Vampyres: Maybe. An awful lot of cultures have very similar legends- but maybe thats just because an awful lot of cultures at one time practiced human sacrifice on some level- and the legands of the vampyre is merely a bastardisation of oral history keeping.

There is something insidious about darkness in general, but I personally find somewhat comforting.