The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Friday, June 21, 2013

A Waste of Time and Effort


Let's start with a chuckle, shall we? I need one...

Ladies, if a man says he'll fix it, he will. There is no need to remind him every six months or so.

I know, I know... that was sexist... but I am not sure who should be offended, women or men?

As I write this on Thursday, I have just returned from an disappointing trip to Sam's Club in Bradenton. It was disappointing because I did not get all the items I usually want. They simply did not have certain items. No rolled tacos (taquitos), no pre-cooked bacon (Hormel, I think, makes this), no packs of frozen chicken breasts, no furniture wipes, and a few other items I wanted weren't there.

It's beginning to be a waste of time and gas. The trip takes over an hour (longer when there is roadwork in progress as there was Thursday) and about 3 gallons of gas. That last means I have to save quite a bit of money to justify the trip. Today was one of those days that did not fulfill that requirement. I make these trips about once every 6-8 weeks. I don't think I will make another one.

The company once promised to open a Sam's Club here in Paradise but, after buying the property and razing the existing structure (and old lumber company), they have shelved the project.  It was understandable, the economy went bad about the time they would have started building. They did what they thought was in their best interests by halting the project.

But, now, I will do what I feel is in my best interests to not provide them with business. And not renew my member card.

Before anyone suggests it, the nearest Costco is almost as far away and requires a trip full of small towns and traffic lights.


Today is the first day of summer. Down here, that started in May.

No comments: