The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Stupid ads With Turtles and Bears


There's an ad running of late on the TV. It involves a beautiful woman swimming with a sea turtle. I have no idea what's being advertised, I mentally drift off after she starts talking about meeting a "new friend", meaning the turtle.

I don't know about you but I would bet that turtle does not recognize her the next time they meet. A new friend would but not a turtle. That turtle had no more awareness of her than the rocks in the scene.

Why do advertisers do this?  Are we, the general public, that gullible? Apparently we are. Turtles sell, sex sells, therefore turtles and sex must be a very powerful fiscal stimulant. Ok, maybe that's a bit much. But maybe not.

I had a pet turtle once when I was very young. I don't recall what happened to it but I suppose it ended up dead and probably buried in the back yard. Though it was a very small turtle, we had a septic tank then and flushing it would not have been a smart thing to do.

My brother got a blue rooster for Easter one year. We did not know it was a rooster, it was just a fuzzy blue chick when he got it. I got a white duckling that year. Both grew up to be rather annoying. My brother's blue chick grew into that rooster (with quite a few blue feathers) and that rooster then welcomed the dawn just outside the window of the room we shared at the time. The rooster got sent off to some farm, I think. My duck eventually got released in Greynolds Park. That was pretty traumatic. She got attacked, sexually assaulted, almost immediately after I released her.

Fresh meat, I suppose. I was ten. I knew next to nothing about sex then. It was a shock. But it taught me that nature was not very much like what Disney showed us on the "Disneyland" TV show. It was more raw, more brutal.

I feel the same way about that Nissan Leaf ad where the polar bear treks from the Arctic down to some suburban neighborhood and hugs some guy for buying such a climate friendly car. Hey, polar bears worked for Coca-Cola, didn't they?

But you don't really want a polar bear to hug you.

No comments: