The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Monday, June 24, 2013

The Dog Ate My Homework


That's the excuse I never used in school. I knew it was too lame and, instead, just said "Didn't do it."

It's early in the morning and I, as I lay in bed pondering whether I should just get up or try to go back to sleep for an hour, I realize I have no post for this morning. So I give up on sleep and get up. After grabbing some coffee and firing up the computer, I am faced with a blank screen. Not only in front of me but the chalkboard of my mind is also blank.

That's the biggest fear any writer can face: the empty pit where the ideas should be. Like standing over an abyss. I meant to gather some thoughts yesterday and put something together but it slipped from my mind. It wasn't because I was busy, I just plain forgot.

I have come to look at my blog as I once looked at homework, I suppose. Something to put off. I often wonder why I procrastinate as I do. I do not know why others do it but my procrastination is out of fear. Fear of failure, fear of humiliation, fear of not measuring up to my own standards. My standards are not high either.

Later, I will be playing golf. Which has its own set of fears. The same ones that cause me to procrastinate. I dread that first swing on the first hole and I dread all the ones that come after it.

I thought of something yesterday that went like this:

The key to good golf is confidence, the key to confidence is playing good golf.

It's a "catch-22", is it not?

And that line sums up life. At least, it does my own.


No comments: