The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Friday, May 1, 2015

Justice, What Is It?


They're rioting in Africa. They're starving in Spain. There's hurricanes in Florida and Texas needs rain.

The whole world is festering with unhappy souls.
The French hate the Germans. The Germans hate the Poles. Italians hate Yugoslavs.

South Africans hate the Dutch and I don't like anybody very much.
But we can be tranquil and thankful and proud for man's been endowed with a mushroom shaped cloud. And we know for certain that some lovely day someone will set the spark off and we will all be blown away. They're rioting in Africa. There's strife in Iran. What nature doesn't do to us will be done by our fellow man.

The above lyrics are from a song by the Kingston Trio called "The Merry Minuet."


It came to me as I was watching the news about Baltimore. Perhaps society is breaking down or maybe I am too complacent. I don't know what happened to Freddie Gray and, apparently, neither does anyone else. It's all speculation. We only know he died while in police custody. There are a lot of calls for "justice" for him and for the black people of Baltimore. But what would that justice be? Cops sent to prison? Or just charged with murder?

I think "justice" is a codeword for "revenge." The people are angry and demand it. But no one is innocent and no one will be satisfied with the truth of the matter. We all want justice but we mean only for the victim, don't we? What about for the perpetrators, if any? Are they entitled to this justice?

Or are we all just willing to be part of a lynch mob?



1 comment:

Debra said...

I doubt that my love life will be more interesting after posting this comment but I will anyway.

You sentiments are shared by me and if they are shared by me they must be shared by many others as I am just one normal, lawbiding, (mostly, except that speed limits are suggestions)and caring woman.

I take responsibility for my actions but many. many, many, others play the blame game and they play it to a tee.

I am a Bible-thumper and I believ in the word that says "there is nothing new under the sun." People have been placing blame on other always. Even Adam told God that Eve made him eat the apple.

Maybe that button will get touched off and that big bomb will explode and we can call it quits once and for all.

Thanks for sharing. Mine is under Life with Rainy Days if you ever want to hear more of my ramblings. :)