The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The Things You Get These Days



I received an email yesterday that invited me to participate in a book review blog. The idea is to post a short review of books I have read so that others might decide if they would like to read them. Or maybe just compare my review with their own opinions.

The blog's owner put potential contributors through a rigorous screening process which consisted, as far as I can tell, of filtering Blogger profiles for "like to read." That certainly describes me. Well, mostly. I like to read myself to sleep. It is preferable to watching TV until I fall asleep only because I haven't figured out a way to have the TV shut off soon after I fall asleep.

Only my living room TV has timer on it. The bedroom is an old one which has no timer. Even if it did have a timer, how am I supposed to know just how long I will stay awake? My personal nod-off formula is TTS = TTA - 30 minutes where TTS is "Time Till Sleep" amd TTA is "Time Till Alarm." The odds of my nodding off anytime greater than 30 minutes before my alarm goes off are astronomical. So I rarely set the alarm. Since Faye wakes up early most mornings, I simply depend upon her to wake me gently with slamming of doors or banging cups about. Which also does not work well.

It's a good thing I am retired.

Michael has, possibly because he lacks good sense or sufficient friends, passed on an award to me.

It looks like this:



He is either overly generous, misguided, or rarely reads this blog. I suspect a combination of the three.

Here's the rules....


The Rules:

  • Thank who awarded it to you.
  • Sum up your blogging philosophy, motivation, and experience using five words.
  • Pass it on to ten other blogs which you feel have real substance.



I would like to thank Michael, really, but it seems more like an assignment than an award. And a difficult one at that. Still, here's my official Thank You, Michael. Summing up my blogging philosophy, motivation, and experience in 5 words seems difficult, if not impossible. But let me try:

Out of my freaking league.

I cleaned it up for you.

Now comes the truly difficult part... selecting 10 bloggers who deserve an award coupled with a difficult task.


I give up. Picking 10 seems like too much work. Not that I can't think of 10 with substance but all blogs have some substance. They are the products of our squirming and feeble brains (at least in my case). I am always running into interesting blogs that reveal great insight and deep thoughts. I then wander off and look for the silly ones. I really don't want to tax my brain. It's already overtaxed and underpaid.

Well, that and I don't want people to think I am fawning over them. Even if I do. I'll tell you what... you pass the award
, minus the requirements attached to it, on to each blog you think is worthy. The bloggers will appreciate it more because it will come from you, the readers.




No comments: