The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Friday, June 25, 2010

Time is of the essence


If time were not a moving thing
and I could make it stay
This hour of love we share would
always be, there'd be no coming day
to shine a morning light to make us
realize our night is over.


The other night, Wednesday, I watched a show called "Through the Wormhole", hosted by Morgan Freeman, on the Science Channel. This is a fascinating series and this particular episode, called "Back to the Future", discussed the possibility of time travel.

Time travel has always been something I would love to do. At different times in my life, I wanted to travel forward or backward in time. Not so oddly, perhaps, the traveling forward was a dream in my childhood and the traveling back is something I muse about in my, uh, "senior years."

I think it is probably impossible to travel in time. Although I toy with the idea that should it be possible, it might be to another parallel universe rather than the one you started in. This resolves the paradox problems since you do not, and cannot, affect the future (or less recent past) of your own universe. If time travel is possible in that manner then there may have already been visitors from the future to our time (or past) and our universe.

It is something to think about, to muse over.

If I could travel back in time, I would choose a period that I am greatly interested in. It was a time of danger. I would like to experience the 30's and 40's.


Where would you go? Forward or backward? And how far?

2 comments:

Paul E. Giroux said...

Back to the 70s but without the alcohol haze I lived through the first time.

Pearl said...

Can I go back as I am, now?

If I could, I would travel back to when I was seven. There was a lot of tragedy in my life at that time and no guidance. I have no memories between 7 and 10. I would go back to help that girl. She needed it.

Thoughtful question, Doug.

Pearl