The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Thursday, March 8, 2012

Intangible rewards


I play golf. Yes, you already knew that and some of you, no doubt, are sick and tired of reading about it. But I am compelled to write about it, to speak about it, to engage in it.

I'm addicted.

That's an accurate description, I think. I went through similar emotions the 2 years I was a surfer dude. In those days, I would hang around the beach even when the surf was poor or non-existent. I even tried to ride my board on one foot waves. Even today, 45+ years later, I look at waves with longing and the urges fill my brain.

With golf, I spend a lot of time playing the game and reading about it and watching it on TV. Just as I used to do with surfing. But I don't hang around the golf course nearly as much as I did the beach. This is a much more mature and controlled addiction. Perhaps it is because I am older and, presumably, mellower.

Golf is a silly, simple (yet surprisingly complex) game. When you do something right in golf, the feeling is similar to a good ride on a wave, or getting acknowledgement for a job well done at work, a kiss from the love of your life. It is not something one can describe adequately in words.

There was a saying about LSD. That you couldn't explain the experience. That it was like explaining an orgasm to a virgin. That's an extreme but it isn't far off the mark. The same feeling comes with whacking a baseball out of the park for a home run. And throwing that perfect spiral with a football. And acing a test.

Scientists might (if they haven't already) discover that these things cause a flood of endorphins in the brain. We may not understand the reason they make us feel so good but we certainly can enjoy the feeling.

Thinking back, I have felt similar feelings in doing all kinds of things. I have seen it in the face of my son when he took his first steps successfully; when he rode his bike for the first time on his own; when he pitched a really good game.

Life is addictive and doing something in it well ought to give you a reward. Those endorphins? They're the reward.


Now, if I could just get that rush from taking a nap...
 

No comments: