The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Thursday, April 19, 2012

Survived the first day


Before I left on this trip, I wrote a short post for Wednesday. I scheduled it to publish at 8:00 AM on Wednesday, April 18... but it didn't publish. Instead, it remained in "Scheduled" status until I backdated it to the 17th. Then I clicked on Publish and it showed on the blog but as being posted on Tuesday. I guess Blogger is not perfect. No, I know it's not perfect... far from it. Maybe Blogger was offline when 8 AM rolled around...

Anyway, the trip to Biloxi went smoothly, not even one close call along the way. I'm impressed. Breakfast at a Cracker Barrel, lunch at a Hardee's, and who knows what we'll do for dinner but it will be here in Biloxi. A little rain and a few slowdowns for some road work were the only glitches on a fine day.

Speaking of a little rain, I have been a little nervous on wet streets since my little scare in November of 2010. I detailed that in Maybe next time...  A little hydroplaning will make your sphincter tighten a wee bit anytime there's water on the road. And that is what I experienced. It's a bit like the aftermath of the time I totaled a Mitsubishi Mirage by T-boning a full size Buick at an intersection in Jacksonville. It was several years before I approached intersections with any kind of confidence. Now, I suffer a little angst if there's been a little rainfall. I am sure this is natural and I won't need extensive counseling.

At least not for that anyway. I have no desire to inflict my other neuroses on some unsuspecting psychologist. None of them likely want to deal with them either, unless they're greedy. But I am cheap and wouldn't pay the hourly rate for a totally insincere "friend." That is, after all, the purpose of a psychologist, isn't it? A friend with advice that comes with a bill?

I'll probably get a lot of hate mail from psychologists for that.

Let `em come.

No comments: