The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Just call me "Dizzy"


One of my favorite movies is Vertigo, starring James Stewart and Kim Novak. And not just because I like Jimmy Stewart movies or drool (which I have done... and do) over Kim Novak's obvious charms and beauty. But because I have suffered from vertigo myself for some time.

We have all been dizzy from time to time, even intentionally when we were kids. We'd spin around until we couldn't walk straight and giggle our heads off as we sat and tried to hold onto the earth. Much later, we would find that alcohol would have a similar effect and last longer but cost considerably more. Could there be a connection there? I digress.

If you do not suffer from vertigo, you cannot appreciate the problems it causes. Getting a little wobbly from time to time is not vertigo. Imagine that occasional wobbliness as a constant companion.

Lay back in bed and the room spins. Slide under the sink to fix a leak and the room spins and you cannot focus, much less operate a wrench properly. Bending over just to tie one's shoelaces requires bracing yourself against a wall or some other secure object. Crawling under my computer desk to re-route some cable(s) or plug/unplug something is an adventure. Even placing a golf tee in the ground takes some mental determination on my part. It's embarrassing when you fall over doing that.

On the other hand, it helps me avoid some unpleasant tasks... such as getting up on my roof. You see, I also suffer from acrophobia (which is not a fear of trapeze artists) which, not so oddly in my case, involves vertigo. That, and a strong urge to throw myself off whatever high point I am on.

Those of you who suffer from these conditions understand. Those who do not just think we are wusses.


No comments: