The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Thursday, August 23, 2012

Who pays this much?


I get numerous emails advertising various products. Mostly from golf equipment and technology vendors. I get them because I choose to. I sign up for various advertising of this type and do not consider them spam (spam is the same thing but unsolicited, as far as I am concerned).

While perusing this week's batch, something struck me... So, to appease her and to prevent another smack in the back of the head, I took out the garbage.

When I got back I also noticed that the sales on golf apparel didn't seem much like a sale to me. That is, even reduced 20%, 30%, or 40% they were still too expensive for my taste. For example, they advertise a polo shirt (T-shirt with collar and buttons on a v-neck) for $14.87 (Mfr's suggested price is claimed to be $54.99). I don't buy such shirts for over $10 (and it better have a pocket). I have several left over from 5 years ago for which I paid about $7 apiece.  Why would I pay more than double for one that is not really better in quality?

It made me wonder... some people must have paid the full retail price for these at one point. And these people aren't stupid. They had to have been smart enough to be worth the money they are paid in order to be able to afford clothes at these prices.

Perhaps it's all relative. The more money you have to spend, the higher the prices you are willing to pay.


No comments: