The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Charmed To Meet You


A useful trait, charm. Very handy in social situations. But, in spite of my sister running an informal "charm school" back in the mid sixties, I'm afraid it is something you are either born with or develop unknowingly (I strongly believe it is genetic in nature).

My family had it. My mother certainly did. Everyone she met adored her. My brother has it. My sister had it. Even my gruffy and stern father had it... which explains his success at being a salesman. I might even have it. I don't know. I do know that people have befriended me even though I pretty much ignored them. Girls seemed to like me. I never understood quite why. Teachers liked me even though I caused them trouble. Throughout my life, people wanted to mentor me. I never understood why... I am cross, surly, and generally a disagreeable person yet people wanted to be friends with me.

I do not know why they did. I wouldn't want someone like me around.

And then there are people I call the "anti-charmists." These are the people you just can't seem to like no matter how hard you try. I have only met a few of them in my life... probably because that trait would die out pretty quickly in evolution. Even so, when you meet them, they make an impression on you if only because you instantly try to find a way to get away from them. At parties they are the boors. They only get first dates or attract only other anti-charmists. They do not become successful because the odds are stacked against them even if they happen to be talented.

Life is just plain wierd.


2 comments:

Tom said...

There can be but one explanation: You're a golfer, and who doesn't like a golfer!?!

Douglas said...

Quick answer, Tom: his opponents. And I wasn't always a golfer, I was once young and stupid and hadn't played The Game.