The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Why


That is both a question and the beginning of a statement. I am going to ask some whys and try to make some statements.

As most readers of this blog know, I profess to be atheist; not "an atheist" but atheist and unlike many who profess atheism, I have no problem with those who believe. That is because because I have not been, or felt, threatened by religion or the religious. Sure, I have had the religious knock on my door and proselytize, hoping to convert me or "save" me. I have had people do this at my work. Faye's family is very religious; one of my brothers-in-law has been a preacher. When we visit his home, there is grace said at the table. I respectfully remain silent and sometimes even offer an "amen" at the end of the ritual. It is, after all, their ritual and I, as I have said, respect their belief.

Now for my questions (you might consider them rhetorical... not needing an answer):

Why are you religious?

Why are you a Christian, a Jew, a Muslim?

Did you choose to be or were you raised to be one?

I firmly believe that we tend toward the religions we grew up with.

My parents were mixed, religiously speaking, my father was Protestant (Methodist) and my mother was raised Catholic. Religion wasn't important to them though I think they both believed.

I took a different path, I thought about the subject on an intellectual level and came to the conclusion that religion was a way to reject the concept of death. But I was taught to respect others and not to disrespect them or how they felt about things.

In New York, it wasn't much of an issue but once we moved to Florida, I found that prayer was how the school day began. I learned to tolerate that, that I didn't need to rebel against it. Instead, I just accepted the few moments when others prayed as a period where I could sit quietly.

I was not abused because I did not participate, nor was I bullied or ridiculed.

This is why I hold respect for those that believe. Sure, some are hypocrites and violate the very religions they profess to believe but, then, don't we all fail at times?

No comments: