The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Saturday, March 20, 2010

Is it nap time?


I suppose I should be writing something today but I can't seem to get started. Ever have one of those days? You know you need to get some things done but you just can't get motivated enough.

Now that I think about it, I have a lot of those days. Always have had them. I am basically a lazy person. I believe I always have been. I am not ashamed to admit this. We Americans like to say we are an industrious lot; we work more days, take fewer vacations, work more hours and so on. That may be so but I am fairly certain I kept the average lower than it could have been.

I worked as little overtime as possible. I took all the vacation time I earned each year. You could say I was more grasshopper than ant. Which might be true but I always liked to think of myself as more efficient than most. I liked the motto "Work smarter, not harder."

I learned to do this while serving in the Navy. Well, I might have always done this. During junior and senior high school, I learned how to just do enough to pass each year. You might say I gamed the system. I polished this skill in the Navy where I always managed to look like I got more done than expected. I liked to think I gave them a solid 75% of my effort on average. 100% at times, barely 50% at others and often less. My only rule was (and is) that no one would have to take up my slack.

I may be lazy but I am not without honor.

1 comment:

Tony said...

I like to think that I work hard, I just make it look easy