The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Saturday, March 6, 2010

This just in...


I like to get my news on the web. Yes, I know not everything published is fact. Or even close. At least at first. But that is the same as the other, more traditional, news outlets. I long ago learned never to trust initial reports.

Take the Balloon Boy story, for example. It had the country (and a fair portion of the world) glued to TV sets for hours trying to learn the fate of the boy supposedly trapped in a balloon racing across the Colorado landscape.

A hoax, of course, and obvious in hindsight. I was, as I am by nature, skeptical of the premise that a child of 6 could have climbed into the small compartment and somehow securely latched the door behind him (since such a compartment usually doesn't have any inside handles). So I claim my interest was based solely on learning when the news organizations would catch on.

Today, I learned of the Justice Roberts retirement rumor . It apparently went from initial exposure to stories about how rumors fly about on the internet well before I learned about it.

Which might mean I have gotten out of touch...



3 comments:

Irish Gumbo said...

So Brian Williams thinks confidence is required in their line of work?

Is that a news flash?

Jesus H., when will people learn! Every body is so intent on being the first out of the gate that they lose common sense. Make them stoppppp!

Douglas said...

Just as I restrain myself from buying the initial version of any software, I also refrain from "buying" the initial news reports of any event. Being a cynic and a skeptic has served me well... except in financial investment.

Pearl said...

I've actually developed quite a bad attitude about what passes as journalistic integrity these days and admit that I, too, refrain from getting too excited about the "this-just-in" bits.

Pearl