The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Friday, March 26, 2010

Drugs! I Need Drugs!

I had to be to the hospital early today. The OR was scheduled for 7 AM. I was told to show up at the ER door at 5:15 (the Outpatient doors do not open till 6 AM).

A little back and forth revealed something interesting...

"You should be here at 5:15, the procedure is scheduled for 7.", says Liz (the nurse).

"AM or PM?". I ask.

"Oh, in the morning, of course. The bad news is you will need to go to the ER to get in. No other doors are open at that time, not till 6."

"I had a 3:15 PM appointment today. Was told I could come in at 2:45 to get the paperwork done ahead of time, and it is now 4:30 and I still haven't seen the anesthesiologist.", I casually mention.

"Well," she says "Try to get here between 5:15 and 5:30... but no later than 6."

We got there at 5:10. There is surprisingly light traffic in a city of 20,000 at 5 AM. I spent a lot of time waiting.

All of the questions asked yesterday at the pre-op testing appointment are asked again, two more times. Making a grand total of 5 times in 2 days (or 7 times in 3 if you count the doctor's office visit on Wednesday). Remarkably, my answers have not changed at all. Though I detect a slight, but steady, rise in blood pressure.

I am asked to sign a consent to allow three nurse trainees observe. I should have charged $20 apiece but they are pretty and I am male so...

The OR nurse drops in and tells me the doctor has arrived and is changing from his street clothes. He'll be in to mark the correct knee (I hope) soon. I say, "as long as he isn't still sobering up..."

Her quick reply sets me straight, "That was pretty much done 2 hours ago."

Within a half hour, all is ready and I am wheeled into the OR...

... And I wake up in Recovery. In excruciating pain. Severe and agonizing. At least as powerful as I felt in the moments after I broke the blasted knee. But persisting longer. Much longer.

Steven, the Recovery Room nurse, offers me drugs. I offer him my first born if he will hurry. He demands cash. We are jesting... I sincerely hope.

Two doses of dilaudid in 15 minutes reduces the pain level to tolerable. I no longer feel I will pass out. I discontinue pinching my thigh and digging fingernails into my right palm in vain attempts to distract my mind from the knee pain.

Cottonmouth sets in. I ask for some water. Steven hesitates, it is too early to allow me to ingest anything. Steven likely does not like to clean up after the choking and vomiting. I insist that I only need some to wet my mouth, that I am dryer than the Sahara. I am given a sponge swab by the prettiest of the observer nurses. It helps.

Later I am allowed first ice chips and then shortly thereafter cold water to actually drink. I decide I will live after all.

I am home now and the pain is still there but lessened. I can even hobble about (very short distances) without the crutches. Yes, I can now put pressure on that leg.

Life is good.

9 comments:

Charlotte Ann said...

I'm amazed at how quickly you got in to see a dr. and then surgery. It took me a month to get the surgery suite. Now for the gory details. Did they replace the patella?

Steel Magnolia said...

OMG ... this scares me big time. I cannot put pressure or weight on my right knee. Now it throbs. It just happened. Out of the blue. No rhyme. No reason. Fifty-something I suppose is reason enough. Monday I hobble into the orthopedic guy. Wish there were drugs to keep me from drawing blood in my palm. Glad to hear you are recuperating ... and that it is behind you. I am jealous ;-)Cheers!

Irish Gumbo said...

Cottonmouth...there's a term I haven't heard in a long, long time, not since my younger days of experim...

oops..I mean, yeah, a long time ago.

Here's to pressure! *clink*

Douglas said...

Charlotte Ann, it has a lot to do with where you live (small city with a bunch of old people and doctors) and the need. Once broken, it needs to be fixed. Damaged or deteriorating but not broken (yet) means one can wait. They did not replace the patella, just wired it together and back in place (I hope).

steelxmagnolia, knee pain is nasty, isn't it? I know guys who had to have knees rebuilt while they were in their 30's and 40's. Sports injuries, mostly. And my sister had her's replaced due to RA in her early 60's. She suffered a lot less than I did. Shop around for a good doc, if you have to.

Irish, it is strange, isn't it? I recognized the symptom immediately.

Anonymous said...

Nothing like humor to get through tough days such as this.

Enjoyed the tone of voice of the narrator.

The Jules said...

Remember, healing takes lots of protein, which means dinner can legitimately be extermely meaty.

Here's to a sppedy recovery Dounglas!

The Jules said...

Also, a speedy one. :-)

The Jules said...

Also, a speedy one. :-)

Charlotte Ann said...

I'm amazed at how quickly you got in to see a dr. and then surgery. It took me a month to get the surgery suite. Now for the gory details. Did they replace the patella?