The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Out on the highway again


As you read this, Faye and I are wending our way north toward I-10 and then on to Biloxi, MS for a couple of days. From there we will head in a westerly direction until we reach Las Vegas for a 3 day visit. From there, we'll head southwest to San Diego for a visit with Faye's family and my son, his wife, and my granddaughters.

It is our annual trip. Generally. We missed it one year, I think, but we try to make this journey each year around our anniversary. A kind of tradition. We married some 26 years ago in Las Vegas in an unusual wedding that did not include a pregnant bride. I am sure Las Vegas has seen many of these but I am also sure the great majority had a pregnant woman involved as a participant. It's also a tradition. There's no waiting period in Nevada. Perhaps there should be.

We have lasted longer than I suspect most Vegas marriages have. And we should last for many more. As Faye often reminds me... "It's cheaper to keep her." She's right, of course, but that is not the reason I am willing to let her rule my life. Face it, guys, you know they are in charge. She completes me, as they say.

I shall continue to blog throughout the trip in my normal boring manner and try to take some pictures along the way.

In the meantime, here's something to contemplate...

I would have done it again

It's a Time.com article about the testimony of Anders Behring Breivik, the Norway shooter of note who massacred 77 people, including children, on July 22, 2011. It is chilling, in a way, and a view into the workings of a possibly deranged man. I say "possibly" because that is the purpose of the trial, to determine his sanity. It would seem the act itself strongly suggests the proper verdict. But there is a big difference between the general definition of insane and the legal one.

A line in the story intrigued me..

"If found mentally sane — the key issue to be decided in the trial — Breivik could face a maximum 21-year prison sentence or an alternate custody arrangement that would keep him locked up as long as he is considered a menace to society."

Perhaps it intrigues you also...

No comments: